In lightning protection systems, a lightning rod or conductor is a single component of the system. This conductor required the connection to the earth to perform its protective role. A lightning rod is a metal rod mounted on a Building (any structure or house) and expected to protect the structure from lightning strikes. Whenever the lighting strikes the structure or building it will favorably strike the rod and can be directed to the ground through a wire, instead of passing through the structure.
A lightning protection system is a very common aspect in any kind of structure, building, industry, or home. The high range of current can cause serious damage to any person or equipment nearby. It can even cause a fire. Hence lightning protection systems are used to prevent lightning strike damage to structures.
What is the purpose of Lightning Protection?
- Lightning rods help to protect the structure from a direct lightning strike, there will be complete lightning protection needed to help prevent harmful electrical surges and possible fires caused by lightning entering a building through wires and pipes.
- The function of an external lightning protection system is to interrupt, conduct and separate a lightning strike safely to earth. A lightning protection system helps to save the people working around or within it.
Lightning and Earthing Protection devices
- Lightning Arresters
- Chemical Earthing Electrode
- Cast Iron Earthing Pipes
- Aviation Lamp
- Earthing Chambers
- Lightning Counter
- Test Links
What is a Lightning Arrester?
The lightning arrester’s device is used to protect the structure from direct lightning. There are two types of lightning.
- Cloud to Cloud
- Cloud to Ground
Cloud-to-cloud lighting does not affect us but cloud-to-ground lightning affects human life as well as structures. So, it is necessary to protect from lightning protection in which Lightning arresters play a vital role. iEngineering has the solutions to protect human life as well as residential industrial infrastructure with very high-quality lightning protection devices.
- ESE Lightning Arresters
- SS Lightning Arresters
- Copper Lightning Arresters
ESE (EARLY STREAMER EMISSION)
The ESE ( Early streamer Emission) lightning arrester gives you a safe and reliable system to protect your structure or solar project from direct lightning strikes. An ESE Lightning arrester provides and increased the radius of protection, decreasing the number of lightning arresters and down conductors needed for your structure whilst still providing complete protection.
The lightning arrester should be placed near the equipment it protects. It’s generally linked between ground and phase in an AC arrangement and ground and pole in a DC system. Furthermore, AC systems contain a separate arrester in each phase.
Surge Protective Devices (SPD)
Surge Protective Devices (SPD) are used to protect the electrical installation, which consists of the consumer unit, wiring, and accessories, from electrical power surges known as transient overvoltages.
They are also used to protect sensitive electronic equipment connected to the installation, such as computers, televisions, washing machines, and safety circuits, such as fire detection systems and emergency lighting. Equipment with sensitive electronic circuitry can be vulnerable to damage by transient overvoltage.
There are three different types of Surge Protective Devices:
- Type 1 SPD installed at the origin, e.g. main distribution board.
- Type 2 SPD installed at sub-distribution boards.
- Type 3 SPD installed close to the protected load. They must only be installed as a supplement to Type 2 SPD.
- Property damage can be reduced by strokes of lighting.
- Outdoor equipment of the substation can be protected.
- Avoid damage in lines.
- Outlet surges can be avoided.
- Electromagnetic interference.
- Simple to use.
Save your equipment and structure from the lightning!!